Two of the Thoroughbroads…Robin & Scarlett along with their husbands saw each other regularly, as they had all become fast friends. Dinners out, card games and movie nights frequently included another couple not in the “Thoroughbroad” group. One October a devilish plot was carried out on the non – Thoroughbroad couple. They would kidnap Pat & Tony’s cherished yard art scarecrow Herman and hold him for ransom. Over adult beverages…the decision was made to create one of those kidnap notes with cut out letters from newspapers and magazines…which ain’t that easy! It took hours and after a number of beers and glasses of wine, it became quite detailed and full of instructions. Herman would be returned for the ransom of Pat’s famous margaritas and her husband Tony’s nachos on a specific date, or they would never see Herman again. Robyn’s husband came in from the garage with small shavings of firewood to include in the note. They even painted red spots on most of them and claimed they were part of Herman’s bleeding wooden ear.
Now that the plot was in place, they all piled into the van to go get Herman. The kidnappers were thrilled and some a little loud, due to the adult beverages consumed. With Pat & Tony’s house close to the street and under a street lamp, there was considerable laughing and noise, as the two couples tried to get Herman out of the holiday décor and into the back of the van without being seen or heard…yeah right.
Days went by, nights came and went and not one word about the kidnapping from the other couple. Scarlett was convinced they must not have found the note in the mailbox, maybe the postal worker took it out, they should drop some hints, but Robyn’s husband convinced her not to say a word, they would all just show up with Herman on the proposed due date of his return, which they did.
To their surprise, a big banner draped the front porch reading “Welcome Home Herman, We love and missed you – Tony, Pat, the cat & both dogs!”. As the kidnappers piled out of the van laughing, they were greeted on the porch with Pat holding a silver tray full of her famous margaritas for all. Tony took Herman, kissed him square on the mouth and put him back in the holiday décor. All enjoyed the evening with Pat’s the fabulous drinks and Tony’s famous nachos in the den as he told the kidnappers they would never make it in real life. So much noise was made taking Herman that it woke Pat and Tony up, along with the dogs and cat. They had all gone to the front window and had seen the kidnapping under the street lamp…who else did they know with red hair other than Robyn and who did they know with that loud laugh but Scarlet? Tony went out to the mailbox for the note and their plan was to not say a word, so they had turned the table on the kidnappers by not responding. That drove the criminals crazy with worry that all of their efforts were for naught.
Thus, the “prankees had pranked the pranksters!” It was decided that night that next time the kidnappers would just toilet paper the yard…
Don Julio Margarita Legendario
- 1 ounce Don Julio Blanco
- .5 ounce Grand Marnier
- .5 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 wedge lime
How to Make It
Add Don Julio Blanco, Grand Marnier, and fresh lime juice.
Shake and strain over ice.
Salt rim of rocks glass.
Garnish with lime wedge. And Yummy in your tummy good!
Sheet Pan Nachos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef and garlic, and cook until beef has browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; stir in taco seasoning. Drain excess fat.
- Place tortilla chips in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Top with ground beef mixture, black beans, corn and cheeses.
- Place into oven and bake until heated through and the cheeses have melted, about 5-6 minutes.
- Serve immediately, topped with tomato, onion, jalapeno, sour cream and cilantro.